Supervising staff under the current Coronavirus/COVID-19 situation can be challenging. We have compiled several resources that will be helpful to council members as they work to assist their staff members. These resources, listed in the sidebar, include guidance from government agencies, Whitfield & Eddie Law, Extension and Outreach, and Employee & Family Resources (our EAP provider).
UPDATED COVID-19 PAID LEAVE RESOURCES April 8, 2021
from Whitfield & Eddy Law Under the recently enacted American Rescue Plan Act (“ARPA”), Congress revised the FFCRA paid leave/tax credit program. From April 1, 2021 through September 30, 2021, Councils may voluntarily provide paid sick leave to their employees. It appears that Councils will also receive tax credits for FFCRA paid leave wages from April 1 through September 30, 2021. If the Council chooses to provide this leave, the Council cannot discriminate among employees who may receive the leave (part-time vs. full-time, highly compensated vs. minimum wage employee, etc.). Here are three key takeaways for employers providing FFCRA benefits:
- ARPA “refills” the two-week (up to 80 hours) emergency paid sick leave entitlement for each eligible employee. Employees must have a qualifying COVID-19 reason.
- Under ARPA, employees may receive up to 12 weeks of qualifying paid family leave per employee (with a qualifying COVID-19 reason).
- It appears that ARPA allows public employers to claim tax credits for leave granted under ARPA.
For additional information and more details, read the Summary - COVID-19 Paid Leave and Tax Credits document below.
You will also find draft resolution and policy update templates, tax forms, and an employee request form.
- Summary of paid leave law/ changes from FFCRA
- Draft resolution adopting the program (MS Word document)
- Draft policy update (MS Word document)
- Form 941 – for Treasurer FYI
- Employee Request for Leave form
FLEXIBLE WORK ARRANGEMENTS and ACCOMMODATIONS
Guidance for Flexible Workplace Requests | Assists council/employer and the employee with things to consider when setting up a flexible workplace plan.
Documentation of Disability for County Employees | Should be used when employees have a health-related issue for which they are requesting accommodation.
EMPLOYEE LEAVE POLICY RESOURCES FROM WHITFIELD & EDDY
ARPA Policy Resolution (MS Word) | Sample temporary policy addendum to be adopted by councils for emergency paid sick leave and expanded FMLA related to coronavirus
ARPA Policy Template (MS Word) | Template for use in employee handbook outlining the policy for emergency paid sick leave and expanded FMLA related to coronavirus
EMPLOYEE LEAVE TOOLS FROM WHITFIELD & EDDY
- Councils may ask employees to complete and submit this form, including required documentation, when the employee requests leave. This form is current as of 4-15-2020, to the best of our knowledge. We will try to update it as regulatory guidance changes.